Meet your Trainer
Personal Fitness Trainer & Conditioning Coach
I use a holistic approach, working closely as a mentor to help individuals understand factors that influence training performance and results both inside and outside of the gym.
These factors can include altering self-awareness, providing plans for good nutrition and helping with contemporary lifestyle issues. My style is motivational, promoting the use of prehab techniques that minimise risk for injury and comprehensive training to achieve an individual’s goals.
I specialise in training the average person and athletes by focusing functional movement patterns, improving mobility to enhance stabilisation, developing functional power and strength, and managing peaking and resting in a periodised program.
- BSc. Genetics, Human Physiology, Psychology (UCT)
- Higher and Advanced Certificates for Exercise Science and Sports Conditioning (HFPA)
- Certificates in Group Fitness Training and Nutrition Essentials (HFPA)
- Functional Movement Screening (Course by Kobus du Plessis)
- Activation for Trainers and Therapists (Course by Douglas Heel)
- Beginner and Advanced Fascial Release Techniques (Courses by Physical IQ with David Minnie)
- Personal training for all individuals
- Weight loss
- Weight gain
- Teaching correct form and posture
- Sport-specific conditioning
- Improvement in physique, strength, and endurance through periodised programs
- Muscle activation for whole-body (global) functionality
- Developing proprioceptive acuity (mind-muscle connection) and motor pattern re-education
- Conducting a functional movement screen
* Prehab, or prehabilitation, is a proactive approach to exercise that combines rehabilitation techniques with exercise to reduce the risk for injury and pain. Weak areas are strengthened first. Improvement in joint function, mobility, and balance reduce the risk for injury and disease.
What people are saying
I first started training with Cameron in March this year (2019). I had been running prior to starting with him but was not seeing much improvement and kept getting injured. I absolutely enjoy my sessions with Cameron and he has made me look at training differently. I have started to enjoy seeing how hard my body can work and I have felt a lot stronger and more confident about my body. Cameron is also a genuinely awesome person and each session is something to look forward to. He cares about every one of his clients, puts in extra effort and creates a programme for each client individually and tracks progress with every session. Thank you Cameron 🙂- Kristan Donson
I would highly recommend Cameron. He is a great ambassador for the science of exercise, mixed with a very personable and high EQ of someone that truly wants to help people reach their goals. His attention to detail, diagnostics and subsequent training plans are meticulous, and a breath of fresh air in a world of over promise and under deliver
Like any driven professional he is always challenging himself to learn best practise and stay on top of scientific breakthroughs to challenge his thinking and expand his knowledge.
If you want to make a change and invest in your future health and happiness you should hire him today!- Richard
I have had 4 personal trainers in my life...all of them I thought were the greatest things since sliced cheese, until I met Cameron Tonkin. After having 2 babies in 2 years and being overweight most of my life, I decided that 2019 is the year to get my fitness back so I asked Virgin Active for a recommendation. Cameron was the first trainer I saw and at our very first consultation I felt at ease and confident that he was the best fit to join me in my fitness journey. I have been training with Cameron for 12 months now and to say I feel fantastic is an understatement. His wholistic and focused approach is exactly what I need to motivate me to train harder and more frequently in my busy life with 2 toddlers under 3 years old as well as a full time job. He is more than just a Personal Trainer. His extensive knowledge on health and wellness together with his qualifications in psychology, personal training, lynotherapy, and many other wellness courses enables him to confidently provide a well-rounded and fun programme that meets my needs. He has created a tailor-made programme just for me so when I am not working out with him at my side I have a programme that I can do on my own. Cam is friendly, 100% dedicated, and reliable. I would recommend him to anyone and everyone who can invest in their health and well-being by hiring a personal trainer! He is the guy to choose!- Lindy Srubis